Learn about The MS Word 2003 with images. These Tutorial Objectives:
- What is the Microsoft Word?
- How to open Microsoft Word?
- Features of MS Word
- How to Creating a document in MS Word
- How to Opening a saved document in MS Word
- How to Closing a document in MS Word
- How to Exiting MS Word?
What is Microsoft Word?
Microsoft Word is a program that helps you to type words on a computer. With this program you can write essays, letters, poems and many more.
How to open Microsoft Word?
Open Microsoft word by following the given steps and See the Image:
- Once the computer is on, click on the Start button.
- Select the Programs menu
- Select the Microsoft office menu.
- Click on Microsoft word 2003
After following all the steps, the Microsoft Word window appears as shown below.
Features of MS word:
Title Bar :
Title Bar appears at the top of the screen. It displays the name of the program and active document. See the above Image.
Menu Bar appears below the Title Bar. It displays menus such as File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Tools, Table, Windows, Help and many more. See the above Image.
Standard Toolbar consists of buttons for the most commonly used commands such as Save, Open and Print. See the above Image.
Formatting Toolbar Consists of buttons for accessing commonly used formatting features and commands such as Font, Style and Size. See the above Image.
Ruler measures the width and shows the margins. See the above Image.
Scroll Bar is a long thin strip with arrows and a sliding section at the edge of the window. There are two Scroll Bars. See the above Image.
Horizontal Scroll bar – It is used for shifting the MS word Screen display left or right.
Vertical scroll bar – It is used for shifting the MS word Screen display up or down.
Work Area is the area is the document window where you type the text. See the above Image. See the above Image.
Cursor is the blinking vertical line in the work Area that shows the location. See the above Image.
Status Bar displays information about the cursor position. it shows page number, the column number and the line number.
How to Create a New Document in MS Word?
The steps to create a new document are given below.
Step 01: Click on the File menu in the Menu Bar. Click on New option.
Step 02: A task pane called New Document opens on the right side of the window. Select Blank document option.
Step 03: A new document opens. Every new document has a default name as Document 1. When you open another document it will be named Document 2 and so on.
How to Save a Document?
To save a document with the default name and at the same location where it was created follow these steps.
Step 01: Click on the File menu in the Menu Bar.
Step 02: Click on Save option.
If you want to save your document on a new location, follow these steps.
Step 01: Click on File menu in the Menu Bar.
Step 02: Click on Save As…. option.
Step 03: The Save As dialog box appears.
Save As dialog box>>>>
Step 04: Select the location to save your file by using the Save in drop down list.
Step 05: Type the name of the file in the File name text box. Click on the Save button.
Entering file name
Note: If no name is given for saving a file, MS Word names it as Document 1 by default.
How to Open a Saved Document in MS word
The steps to open a saved document are:
Step 01: Click on the File menu in the Menu Bar.
Step 02: If the document is not saved recently then click on the Open option.
<<< Opening a document not saved recently
Step 03: If you have recently saved a document, it appears on the File menu. Click on the document to open it.
<<<< Opening a recently saved document
Step 04: A dialog box named Open appears. Select the file name in the file or you may type it in the File name text box. Click on the Open button.
Open dialog box>>>>
How to Close a Document in MS Word 2003?
To close a document in MS Word, click on the close button on the top right corner of the Menu Bar. If the document has not been saved, a prompt box appears. Click on the Yes button to Save the changes.
Closing a document in MS Word
How to Exit MS Word
1. Click on the File menu in the Menu Bar.
2. Click on the Exit option. Exiting MS Word >>
If your document has not been saved, a prompt box appears. Click on save the changes.
<<< Prompt box
Microsoft Word 2003 Glossary:
Cursor: It is the blinking vertical line in the Wok Area.
Dialog box: It appears to ask for information to be the computer.
Formatting Toolbar: It consists of buttons for the most commonly used formatting commands.
Horizontal Scroll Bar: It is used for shifting the screen display left or right.
Standard Toolbar: it consists of buttons for the most commonly used commands.
Status Bar: It displays information about the cursor position.
Title Bar: It displays the name of the program and the active document.
Vertical Scroll Bar: It is used for shifting the screen display up or down.
Work Area: It is the area in the document window where you type the text.
The Short Information of Microsoft Word 2003:
- Microsoft word is a program where we can type and write essays, letters, poems and any documents.
- To start Microsoft Word select: Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Word.
- The various components of MS Word window are: Title Bar, Menu Bar, Standard Toolbar, Formatting Toolbar, Ruler, Scroll Bar, Work Area, Cursor, and Status Bar.
- You can create a new document in MS Word. Every new document has a default name as Document 1, Document 2 and so on.
- The Save Command is used to store the typed text.
- You need to type the file name when the document is saved for the first time.
- A document remains open on the screen until it is closed.
- If you try to close a document in MS Word Without saving it a prompt box appears. It prompt box appears. It prompts you to save it.
- You can quit MS word by Selecting the Exit option from the File menu.
Leave a Reply